The ACI Group is committed to help you identify and match your skills and experience to the best job possible.
Take your first steps to an exciting new career.
Mainframe Systems Programmer for the JES3 Assessment, Woodlawn, MD
Our client is seeking a Mainframe Systems Programmer for the JES3 Assessment for a contract opportunity in Woodlawn, MD.
- Analyze, develop, plan and perform mainframe operating system software installation and maintenance.
- Use IBM’s SMP/E to perform mainframe software installation and maintenance.
- Identify, analyze and resolve mainframe software problems.
- Use mainframe tools such as RMF, SMF, IPCS, Abend-Aid, File-Aid, SYSLOGs, etc., to resolve software problems.
- Coordinate operating system software problem determination and resolution in a mainframe SYSPLEX environment.
- Familiarity with z/OS system installation and customization as it relates to JES2 and JES3
- Provide the expert analysis, design, development, implementation, and support of systems control software including operating systems, multi-user utilities, locally prepared subroutines, and intercomputer communications and vendor proprietary software for the mainframe environment.
- Provide expert technical analysis for problem determination and coordination of mainframe systems and mainframe software problems, employs problem analysis and resolution techniques, and analyzes the most difficult problems and determines the most effective methods of resolution.
- Develops enterprise-wide data processing standards and other planning documents in accordance with the objectives and the work plan of the Division. Reviews and assesses existing standards and policies to initiate and coordinate necessary revisions, deletions, or improvements.
- Designs major extensions and enhancements to mainframe operating systems software to support current, revised and new functional requirements.
- Designs, develops, implements, and supports automated management techniques, enhancements, and procedures for operations, job scheduling, and storage media for mainframe environments.
- Provides expert advice to systems components on technical capabilities and limitations, developments, and other matters related to mainframe operating system software.
- Represents the Division on technical committees developing long range plans, systems, and procedures governing the direction of the mainframe operating system software and associated hardware.
- Provides expert technical support to computer operations and applications programming personnel.
- Prepares and presents oral and written recommendations to management on the feasibility of implementing new or revised operating systems software.
- Develops supporting documentation materials for the justification and acquisition of operating systems software.
- Plans for and directs the development of benchmarks, pilot studies and validation procedures for new or revised mainframe operating systems software.
- Provides expert technical advice for the design, analysis, implementation, and maintenance of mainframe operating system software and policies, taking into account such factors as end-user requirements and hardware environment.
- Reviews and analyzes operating and network standards and policies as they relate to the changing technology, making expert recommendations for enhancement through reconfiguration and future procurements; and maintains an awareness of organizational, legislative, administrative, and technological changes that affect and impact future planning.
- Ensures adequate controls are incorporated in mainframe operating system software.
- Prepares plans for emergency situations and disaster recovery.
- Bachelor's degree and 7 Years of relevant work experience OR Master’s degree and 5 Years of relevant work experience OR a minimum 11 years of relevant work experience as a Computer Systems Analyst in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum of 3 years of Mainframe Systems Programming Experience
- Minimum of 3 years of experience installing and maintaining Z/OS and/or Subsystems or program products
- Minimum of 3 years of experience creating and maintaining JES3 and JES2 scripts
- Minimum of 2 years of experience programming in REXX and/or SAS on a mainframe
- Must be able to obtain a Position of Public Trust clearance
- Must be a US citizen or green card holder per our client's clearance requirements
Candidates with these skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Experience using mainframe tools such as RMF, SMF, IPCS, Abend-Aid, File-Aid, SYSLOGs, JES3, JES2, etc., to resolve software problems
- Experience working with OMVS
- Understanding of MVS Internals
- Experience using SMP/E and dump analysis
- Experience coding in COBOL on a mainframe system
- Experience customizing mainframe system software options and parameters
- Strong knowledge of systems performance and tuning
- Strong problem solving skills
- Only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No calls, inquiries, or Third Party Vendors please.
- We are an equal opportunity employer (Unable to sponsor H1B Visas).
Since 1988, The ACI Group, a Baltimore-based IT staffing firm, has been committed to hiring the industry’s leading professionals, and presenting exciting career opportunities. We have access to varied types of contract, permanent and contract-to-perm positions and offer a choice of employment options including a full benefits package.
Submit your resume for this job